Red Horse Barn
The red horse barn was originally located on the Geuting farm near the Hamburg golf course. In the early years, the red barn was used as a horse barn on the farm. The barn has a red color to it as paint used in the 1800’s had iron oxide in the mixture. The iron oxide – a rust-related compound - gave red paint its distinctive pigment, one more durable than any other natural pigment. As an added benefit, red paint absorbs the sun’s rays in winter, helping keep the barn warm. In 1980/1981 the Hamburg Historical Society moved the red horse barn and the Yankee hay barn from the farm and rebuilt them at the Hambug Historical Society campus on South Park Avenue. The red barn is used by the Society to display agricultural items and artifacts pertaining to the Town of Hamburg’s history.